On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 10:52:20 +0100
Graeme Geldenhuys <mailingli...@geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2016-04-04 10:27, Juha Manninen wrote:
> > Just use the new UTF-8 mode provided by Lazarus and remove all
> > explicit conversion functions.
>
> This is the FPC mailing list. Not everybody here uses Lazarus or LCL, so
> making such a suggestion is wishful thinking. For example, your
> suggestion means nothing to me, I don't use LCL.

First of all it's part of LazUtils. So you don't have to use the LCL
for that. In fact you don't have to use LazUtils: some users simply
copied the two units FPCAdds and LazUTF8. It's all open source.

Second I find it funny that the statement comes from you - a notorious
promoter of software on forums/lists of competing projects.

And third setting the DefaultSystemCodePage is a good start, but not
enough. Instead of explaining all the gory details, Juha promoted a
more complete solution for UTF-8. This is useful for many users. They
don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Mattias