From: fpc-pascal-boun...@lists.freepascal.org
[mailto:fpc-pascal-boun...@lists.freepascal.org] On Behalf Of Bo Berglund
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2016 2:22 AM
To: fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org
Subject: Re: [fpc-pascal] Parallel Port Access with Free Pascal - windows

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 14:19:20 +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markmll.fpc-pas...@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

Or go the whole hog and
port the program onto a Raspberry Pi: Bo's doing something like you're
asking.

Yes, indeed! I now have something like 7-8 operational RPi units for
different purposes and in several places I have used the GPIO pins to
control and read back digital stuff from FPC programs. Very convenient.

Last I did was to attach a 4-way relay board to a RPi and put a smapp FPC
command line program on it, which gets called from a PHP script on the
Apache webserver on the Pi.
Now I have a webpage, with which I can switch on/off the relays with in
order to control the operational state of some measuring equipment sitting
half way across the workd!

You could do a LOT with FPC and a Raspberry Pi!

Examples:
The Pi also runs an OpenVPN server so I can access it with PuTTY and/or
TightVNC to program it if I need to.

My Pi also has a port mapping utility which makes it possible for me to
remotely access a WiFi network device on a WiFi access point close to the
RPi again from a long distance away. THis was created with FPC and Indy10 on
the RPi.

While Bo's contribution is valid, I have the impression that the raspberry is going to the pigpiod. Newer raspbian images have a switch (in raspi-config/advanced options) to enable a gpio-server. Using that it is possible to access all gpio-functions (gpio, serial, spi, pwm, ...) as a normal user. See http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/index.html. There is a snag : the communication with the server happens via the network, so it could be that your pi will be hijacked, unless you take precautions.

FWIW, I ported the library to fpc, together with the test/demo software (x_pigpiod_if2). The fact that the communication goes via the network opens possibilities though. I tested my port on my laptop, connected to the pi. So applications running on a remote PC could control the pi's IO.

I have no public place to publish this software, so if anyone is interested, please ask.

Koenraad.