On 23.03.2017 20:40, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
The idea was, and is still today, that you can write applications that are
independent of libc, and talk to the kernel directly.
While this usually is the obvious way to go, there are some Arch and OS dependent user space things that are hard to perfectly manage in the fpc-RTL, but are optimizedly provided in the Arch and OS dependent library versions (e.g. Futex and (maybe) threadvar and "Atomic" support). I remember that since some time, the Linux Kernel itself offers "user space system calls" i.e. a "static" library used to do as well certain user space stuff as system calls wrapped in normal procedure calls. Astonishingly, last time I checked, Futex has not been included in that "library".

-Michael