On 2017-05-12 00:57, Jon Foster wrote:
One of the last set of benchmarks I did that

Please note, I did not set out to implement a benchmark. I think all purpose written benchmarks are bias and unrealistic. I implemented a legit software raycaster for a game I was developing. Initially I was going to implement it in Java, but then thought I would rather like to use my much loved Object Pascal language. That plan failed in the end.

Two things surprised me when I ran this: the Java speed and the speed of
the initial JavaScript run. I used SpiderMonkey (Mozilla) for the JS test
and OpenJDK 6 for Java.

I was developing with Java 8 (OpenJDK). And yes, Java speed is phenomenal these days. A far cry from the performance seen in the late 90's.

In short if your suffering a performance issue I'd look to the libraries in
use for poor implementations. Like anything else, bad software can be
written with FPC too.

Both the Java and Object Pascal code was poorly written - because they were very closely based on a JavaScript implementation which was meant for a 4KBytes competition (see how much your can do in just 4KB).

Still, the Java compiler did a better job in optimising the final binary code. The developers in the Lazarus Forum made numerous suggestions on how to improve the speed of the Object Pascal version. I tried everything they suggested and maybe gained 2-5 FPS in the end. Still nothing compared to the performance of the Java or C versions, where no manual optimisation was applied.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/