>Does the same happen for GUI programs compiled with FPC on that machine?
I don't have any FPC GUI programs, they are all console programs, some console
with ptcgraph....

>As a test try to disable your anti virus and/or Windows Defender.

>Pretty much only security software/anti virus.

Yes that is what it was... there was some free trial of Mcafee antivirus
preinstalled on this system, and it had a feature that scanned every single
file every time it was opened... I have NO idea how they can possibly take over
50 seconds to scan a 70KB hello world program, they have an severe bug in their
scanner, it's a silly feature anyway, because if you scan every file as it's
put on the system, they why do you need to scan it again every time you use the
file.   Anyway the free trial was going to expire in 2 days anyway, and the
delay was completely unacceptable, so I just removed the entire thing and
activated windows defender and now everything is running normally.

Thanks everyone for the help getting to the problem!