Am 2020-05-07 15:26, schrieb Ryan Joseph via fpc-pascal:
The amount of redundant information being sent around is ridiculous.
Mainly, the spec gives no way for the client to cache results and
refer to them later in various requests. We're literally sending
around mega bytes of data for no reason whatsoever, except lazy
programmers I guess.

Computers just keep getting slower and slower sometimes it feels...

That's the normal approach now. Why should you optimize anything if
you can simply buy better hardware? So I end up with a machine ten
times as fast as a few years ago and still cannot run much more in
parallel than back then, because even calendar apps are now written
with a full browser stack (looking at electron here).

As someone who still is happy when a GUI is a statically compiled
app that is < 10MB and doesn't take more than that as memory when
starting up, I am disgusted by the current "state of the art"
development. It's no longer an art.

(I am even more pissed off about this on my smartphone. Why does
a messenger app have to be 100 MB in size?! We had whole operating
systems in just 1% of that size. Even a full oracle database is
just around 30 MB if you strip away the java based management
console stuff ... and that thing is a feature monster for data
management.)

</rant>

--
Andreas