On 11/9/2022 6:52 AM, James Richters via fpc-pascal wrote:

Sounds to me that if the compiler will probably insert temp variables anyway, then I might as well make my own and make it easier to understand later.

+1

Trying to write this without intermediate variables would definitely make is less readable and the only case (maybe) where this could possibly, and even then likely in limited cases be more efficient, would be if you have a CPU architecture with MANY 64bit registers. But even 64bit ARM gets limited rather quickly and it certainly won't help on x86, which is still the vastly dominant CPU architecture out there...

Ralf