On Tue, Dec 27, 2022 at 6:47 PM Anthony Walter via fpc-pascal <
fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> My idea is to implement a web page system where syntax highlight code is
> presented like in the Lazarus IDE, and special links are peppered through
> and explanation of how and why Pascal works by using some example programs.
> When the user highlights the special link, the relevant source code is
> highlighted in the syntax window. This then hopefully allows people to
> understand a bit more about pascal by pairing the explanations with lines
> of source code.
>
> Let me know if you think this approach has any merit or if you think my
> guide could be altered to be a bit more clean in places. As a reminder,
> this page is a wiki, so you cna submit edits to me by clicking the edit
> link at the top of the page. I am able to see and merge your edits.

I like the concept implemented in this guide.  A small problem I noticed is
when the source code snippet linked to is not visible, clicking the link
does not move the code snippet into view. This is obviously a tricky
situation since moving the code into view may require shifting the rest of
the document, which may not be desirable.

Explaining the layout and structure of a Pascal program using an example is
a good idea. However, the example topic is quite advanced so a
non-programmer would probably be completely lost regarding the purpose of
the code itself.  Programmers from other languages may also not understand
the concept of a form or the Application instance.  As suggested, perhaps
the example itself should be simple enough so that a non-programmer can
understand the intention of the code.