On Fri, 03 Nov 2023 19:47:01 +0100, Bo Berglund via fpc-pascal
<fpc-pascal@lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>I have now found that there is a Linux utility named socat, which apparently is
>able to map a serial port to a network socket server:
>
>https://www.acmesystems.it/socat
>
>Here they actually use ser2net as the remote server point and socat to connect
>to it....
>
>Seems like a possible path to go down.

UPDATE:

I solved the problem using ser2net on the remote site's RPi3 to publish a
connection to the RPi serial0 device, which is hardwired to the measuring
equipment. This implements a server on port 2001 (my choice) to the serial
connection.

Back at home I have this other RPi4 device on which I have an exposed connector
to the serial0 port, to which I can connect a serial/usb cable from my Windows10
development machine.

After installing socat on the RPi4 I can start it with the remote RPi3
address:2001 as connection parameter for the port and destination.
And this RPi4 has already a VPN connection to the remote network.

So after I opened the VPN connection and started socat I could run the control
program on my Win10 laptop against the equipment across the ocean!
Worked amazingly well!

And no development required on my part.
Just get socat and ser2net via apt on the RPi devices...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden