On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Karoly Balogh via fpc-pascal wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Mar 2024, Guillermo Martínez Jiménez via fpc-pascal wrote:

I thought "packages" were libraries not applications, as there is an
"utils" directory with programs.

I agree, I'm also not very fond of the IDE being in packages, but most of
the team considers it a legacy piece of code (which it is, no argument
there), and at least this way it doesn't need constant special treatment,
unlike when it was in the root folder of the repo under "ide". It's less
"in the way".

Still, it is more logical to place it under utils, with the rest of the
programs.

The argument about the time to compile seems simply false to me:

If you consider the FPC toplevel 'make all' as the only command to
issue, then you may win some time, although I doubt it will be that much.

But 99% of the time, you don't need to recompile the utilities.

I certainly do not:
I usually do a make cycle followed by a compilation of the rtl/packages with
debug info.

So if we moved the IDE to utils where it logically belongs, I would actually be winning time, contrary to the argument for having it in packages.

To me it therefore seems a better idea to move the IDE to utils, and to have a
toplevel make command that does the same as 'make all' simply without the
utilities. Or have a 'NOUTILS=1' define.