With the help of Simon BUCH, I have recovered all the files. Mr Buch
successfully converted the first of the files. With his sample, and the
knowledge that it was possible, I converted the remaining files.

The core of the problem is to replace CR/LF (0D 0A) with LF (0A). That much I
had already tried.

But apparently it's crucial to reinstate the CR/LF after the <MakerFile 3.0F>
line at the start of the line. That much I missed!

Thanks to you all for your help, plus an extra doff of my cap to Simon Buch.

Final score: all 5 files recovered, including diagrams

Doug