Slightly off-topic, but related: for the past 14 or so years I have used one of Rick Quattro's most excellent concoctions to convert footnotes into endnotes (cross-references). Works without issue, including the capabiliy to revert back to actual footnotes. - Doesn't solve the FM footnote issue, of course. Beginning with Frame 5, I have submitted more RFEs on this than I'd care to count, but ...
Cheers,
Michael

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2021 17:08:57 -0500
From: Peter Gold <peter@petergold.photography>
To: "An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software."
        <framers@lists.frameusers.com>
Subject: Re: [Framers] Does new FrameMaker actually split footnotes
        across pages?

Argh... Ghosts and legacies of last-century engineering design. InDesign's
composition engine was born smart, and kept evolving. ID overall has gotten
closer and closer to FM technical authoring and book tool set.

But, the cost of migrating individual authors, tech-publishing departments,
and large legacy inventories, far outweigh most gains in convenience,
features, and typographic improvements.

One glimmer of possibly migrating comes from FM's new subscription model,
which obviates the cost of purchasing new standalone licenses.

--
Michael Heine
School of Kinesiology