On 04/07/18 13:23, Jookia wrote:
I haven't got the NBN yet, but we currently have a Telstra technicolor modem.
What interests me about it is that it does firmware updating automatically
and I can't find any firmware for it online. Short of cracking it open and
reading flash chips or doing traffic snooping, there's not much I can do to tell
it's not being malicious.

I also have a Technicolor modem on Internode NBN, and I always put my modem into bridged mode and use a FOSS server (typically Linux or BSD) as the actual router.  I'm currently using an old Dell "small business server" that I got for free, but even a Raspberry Pi would work as a single-armed router.  That probably won't protect you against actively malicious firmware, but it should mitigate against a lot of vulnerabilities because it's much harder to externally contact a router in bridged mode.

Cheers,
        Andrew