Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2020 17:21:51 +1000
From: Ben Finney <ben+freesoftw...@benfinney.id.au>
To: Melbourne Free Software Interest Group
        <free-software-melb@lists.softwarefreedom.com.au>
Subject: [free-software-melb] Setting up services for community
        organisation: Discourse, Jitsi Meet, Nextcloud, …

Howdy all,

What is the recommended way to deploy a set of services to some simple
hosting, like a Debian host, for community organisation?

I want to help a few community organisations. An example: there is a
board game with a big following and we're trying to make a
community-operated set of services for people to discuss and share and
plan events and teleconference, etc.

There are guides online for deploying Discourse and Jitsi Meet and
Nextcloud. but these seem to assume that Docker is available, and/or
that we are comfortable running unverified install scripts from the
same software developers, as root.

Is there a way to get Docker working using only Debian packages? It
seems the “docker machine” needs to be got directly from Docker, and
isn't available for install from the Debian repository.

Is there a way to deploy these services (let's start with Discourse)
directly from Debian packages? It seems a lot of them are not yet
fully packaged in Debian.

What can a sensible, security-conscious, but time-starved, Debian host
administrator do to get these services up quickly for a little
community organisation?

--
 \      “A lie can be told in a few words. Debunking that lie can take |
  `\   pages. That is why my book… is five hundred pages long.” —Chris |