From: Graham Perrin <grahamperrin_at_gmail.com> wrote on
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2023 19:28:36 UTC :

> User environment (1500000) inferior to kernel (1500001).
>
> Is this type of discrepancy ever normal/acceptable?

That indicates that __FreeBSD_version was 1500000 when the
uname that was run was built but the running kernel was
built when __FreeBSD_version was 1500001 . (Presumes a
lack of use of OSVERSION to override the getosreldate
result for the kernel case.)

What does "file /usr/bin/uname" report? Which does it
list for:

FreeBSD 15.0 (1500000)
vs.
FreeBSD 15.0 (1500001)

?

I did not see evidence about:

sys/sys/param.h:#define __FreeBSD_version 1500000
vs.
sys/sys/param.h:#define __FreeBSD_version 1500001

at the various build stages in your later material.
So I presume the 1500001 change was always present,
even at the start of the builds.

But, I saw no evidence of the commands used to do the
builds. Such can control some of the rebuilt vs. not
status, even with the 1500001 change being present. For
example:

A) From scratch builds (empty build tree at the start of the build)
vs.
B) META_MODE builds (that check for sys/sys/param.h having been updated)
vs.
C) NOCLEAN builds (without META_MODE)

(A)/(B) should have lead to uname being rebuilt
just based on the sys/sys/param.h change. But (C)
likely has no tracking of uname being dependent on
sys/sys/param.h for make to cause a rebuild. (The
FreeBSD Makefiles do not list all the source code
dependencies on other source code files.)

There may be more alternatives that I've not covered.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com