I typed "stty iutf8" after updating to the latest world and kernel and the
backspace key still seems to erase only one byte when erasing Russian
letters. For example, I compile this program:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main()
{
        std::cout << "Enter something: ";
        std::string sentence;
        std::getline(std::cin,sentence);
        std::cout << sentence << std::endl;
}

And when running the program, I type something using Russian letters,
use the backspace key to erase some letters, hit enter, and what I see
on the screen is some garbage. My LANG variable is set to C.UTF-8.