On 10/24/23 20:03, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2023 at 11:06, Rodney W. Grimes
<freebsd-...@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

This is a regression of forms... I have been using ventoy to boot FreeBSD
since 12 or so and this is the first I have heard of a failure to boot
FreeBSD with Ventoy, so my ask is, what changed in FreeBSD that broke
it booting in Ventoy?

At a minimum FreeBSD 14 has a different KBI and the 13.x kernel
modules provided by older Ventoy won't work on 14.0.

How does the KBI even entery into the picture?

What "modules" are being provied by Ventoy, I do not know
of any FreeBSD modules being provided by Ventoy, it is an
EFI shim that loads the FreeBSD loader, and the loader
does all the work.

Again, perhaps I do not see this as I am only using ventoy
in EFI mode.

There's an accompanying geom module as well, source available[0] for every version they support (except 14.x, apparently, despite having a built blob in the geom_ventoy_ko dir). It's a little annoying to try and understand the problems they're running into from version to version, IMO, since they just publish the entire module again for each version rather than maintaining some __FreeBSD_version shims or something.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans

[0] https://github.com/ventoy/Ventoy/tree/master/Unix/ventoy_unix_src/FreeBSD/geom_ventoy_src