On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 12:36 PM, Beat Gaetzi <b...@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Brandon Gooch wrote:
>> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Beat Gaetzi <b...@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> The vbox@ team is happy to announce a call for tester for VirtualBox 3.2.0.
>>>
>>> The VirtualBox 3.2.0 changelog is available here:
>>>  http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Changelog
>>>
>>> Changes to the port:
>>>  - VirtualBox and the guest additions have been updated to 3.2.0.
>>>  - Add option to build with VNC support (Disabled by default)
>>>  - Add option to build with VDE support (Disabled by default)
>>>  - Add option to build webservice (Disabled by default)
>>>  - Fix build with QT4 support disabled and X11 support enabled.
>>>  - Replace custom pkg-install.in script with GROUPS framework.
>>>  - Do not build Guest Additions in virtualbox-ose port.
>>>  - Add patch to implement locking/unlocking of host DVD drive.
>>>
>>> You will find a tarball with the latest port version here:
>>>  https://svn.bluelife.at/nightlies/virtualbox-port.tar.gz
>>>
>>> Please check the wiki page for known problems:
>>>  http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox
>>>
>>> Please backup your virtual machines before upgrading and report any
>>> functionality which was working with previous versions of VirtualBox and
>>> no longer working with 3.2.0, any build failures or problems with the
>>> newly added port options.
>>>
>>> Many thanks to the VirtualBox developers (especially Alexander Eichner
>>> for all his work and help), all tester and patch submitter and the whole
>>> vbox@ team especially de...@.
>>>
>>> Beat, on behalf of vbox@
>>
>> First report:
>>
>> $ uname -a
>> FreeBSD x300 8.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 8.1-PRERELEASE #0 r208609: Fri May
>> 28 04:25:01 CDT 2010     r...@x300:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/X300  amd64
>>
>> The port builds fine, all options enabled. However, on loading
>> kldload-ing vboxdrv.ko instantly panics the machine. I'm unable to
>> obtain a dump (double fault?), but I can run appropriate debugging
>> commands if someone would like to steer me around :)
>
> Could you please try to load the kmod via loader.conf at boot time?
> Panics while loading the kmod with kldload are a known problem.

Yo Beat (and anyone reading)!

My apologies for the false alarm! For the reocord...

The problem: I hadn't the correct virtualbox-port.tar.gz file
downloaded. I have been trying out nightly snapshots of 3.2.0 for a
little while, and my script to download and rebuild the port didn't
behave properly *cough* *cough* this time -- when it mattered the most
:)

So I fixed -- er... re-ran the script, tested the re-built the port
and BINGO, everything loads and is working very well.

I'm continuing to poke away at everything and I will be updating each
of my machines one-by-one over the next day or so.

I have to say, I'm very impressed with the continued improvement with
each new update to the VirtualBox port. I can't think vbox@ enough!

-Brandon