Corey Leopold writes:
> I have a situation where I have a Tar file of a complete 3.4 FreeBSD system
> from the / directory on down.
>
> I'm trying to get this file onto a new system using a "dangerously dedicated"
> scsi disk, but am having problems getting the boot sector right using,
> disklabel, fdisk, and boot0cfg on a picobsd boot floppy.  The tar file
> resides on another hard disk.
>
> If anyone could give any hints on how to do this, or some documentation, it
> would be appreciated.
The easyest way is install FreeBSD on this disk
and then untar over.
Disable all servises before untar - cron, nfs so on.

More powerfull is fdisk, disklabel and newfs disk booting
FreeBSD on another disk
then mount a slise in some dir (/mnt as example)
and mkdir /mnt/usr /mnt/var so on
and mount slises on this dirs.
then untar, then edit /mnt/etc/fstab and /mnt/boot/...

But count, dump/restore is better in regard of precision
of fs details copied.

--
@BABOLO      http://links.ru/