I had some weird serial port problems myself a few days ago.  I was having
an (unrelated) problem with a PCI video card, and I swapped it to a
different
PCI slot on the advice of the manufacturer, which fixed the problem, but
also
caused my VGA card to change *it's* interrupt, which grabbed the same
interrupt as one of my serial ports.

The symptoms were, sometimes FreeBSD would identify the serial port on
bootup, and sometimes it wouldn't see it at all.  I would get a login banner
on the terminal connected to that serial port when the system was booted,
but the terminal wouldn't respond to keystrokes at all.

Anyway, do this:

        dmesg | grep -i irq

and look for two devices using the same IRQ number.  Maybe that's it.

-Joe Loughry
[EMAIL PROTECTED]