> Jamie Howard (howar...@wam.umd.edu), with a little help from yours
> truly, has written a BSD-licensed version of grep(1) which has all the
> functionality of our current (GPLed) implementation, plus a little
> more, in one seventh the source code and one fourth the binary code.

> I move that we replace GNU grep in our source tree with this
> implementation, once it's been reviewed by all concerned parties.

A couple of general problems:

    o  Too many diagnostics have "Undefined error: 0" appended.
       Particularly in the case of "err(2, re_error)" in file.c,
       you probably want to look at using errx() instead.

    o  Errors other than "no match" need to return a exit status
       of 2: some in file.c and util.c are returning 1.

A more general concern is whether Henry Spencer's regex routines
-- at least in our present "alpha-quality" version -- are up to
supporting a grep without much further debugging.  I don't recall
many of the problems I found when I last looked at these, though
here are two, after 5 minutes playing:

    echo xx | grep '\(x\{1,2\}\)\1'
    echo x | grep '[--x]'

--