At 3:28 PM +0930 8/23/99, Greg Lehey wrote:
I'm a little surprised that there's any objection to the concept
of mandatory locking.  In transaction processing, locking is not
optional, and if any process at all can access a file or set of...

For what it's worth, I also like the idea of mandatory locking.
It's important to think through some of the implementation details,
but I would also like to see some way to specify mandatory locking
in at least some situations.

I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea of keying it off chmod
bits, though.  That seems like a recipe for disaster.

Anyway, I am also puzzled as to why there would be much objection
to the option of mandatory locking.  My initial systems-programming
experience was on a mainframe OS where mandatory locking was the
NORM, and you had to go out of your way to avoid locking.  It seemed
to work quite well in my experience.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   g...@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer          or  dro...@rpi.edu