Mark Blackman <m...@exonetric.com> writes:
> drill certainly looks like a drop-in replacement for the common case
> as you suggest. But if it's not called 'dig' and I've never heard of
> 'drill', I'm unlikely to reach for 'drill', hence the alias
> suggestion.  I *had* never heard of 'drill' until this thread came up.

They are sufficiently similar that writing a wrapper that supports a
significant subset of dig's command-line option and uses drill as a
backend shouldn't take more than an afternoon for a reasonably
experienced programmer.  I'm not entirely convinced that it is really
required, but considering how easy it would be to implement, there's no
reason not to.

A drop-in replacement for host is, of course, an absolute requirement.

As for nslookup...  it's been deprecated for a decade.  Its only saving
grace is that its interactive mode is useful for playing text adventures
implemented with DNS TXT records :)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - d...@des.no