11.08.2012 20:35, David Duchscher пишет:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a need to turn off the link of an ethernet port on a Intel nic.  The
> issue is not a big deal but one we would like to solve.  we have no way of
> signaling an upstream router that a path is down but via turning off the link
> of the ethernet port.  This would only be used when something goes wrong. The
> hope is that we could automate some problems and handle other situations
> remotely avoiding having to visit the system in person.
>
> Any thoughts?  We can modify the system so if it means modifying the driver
> or some other code, I am willing to try.  Just need a little direction.
>
> Thanks for your time,

I made such patch a couple of years ago and run it in production with
copper-based
em(4) and igb(4) NICs. The patch introduces new sysctls like
dev.em.X.down_disables_link
and dev.igb.X.down.disables_link with default zero values.
Setting sysctl dev.em.0.down_disables_link=1 makes "ifconfig em0 down" bring
link down.

http://www.grosbein.net/freebsd/patches/em_sysctl-8.3.diff.gz
http://www.grosbein.net/freebsd/patches/igb_sysctl-8.3.diff.gz