> :I thought the linux badblocks program found bad blocks and keep the
> :user from using them.  I want to read the entire disk and the parts
> :that don't read I want to try again later to see if I can maybe get
> :lucky.

The linux program creates a data file which the fsckext program uses to
allocate all the bad spots into a single file.  For scsi disks you don't
have the option of bad block replacement under linux.

>     It's simple, though.  Just write a program to open up the raw device
>     and read() large (32K) chunks, writing the output to a file.

If you are too lazy to write a program you can use good old 'dd' with the
extra options:

        bs=1024 conv=noerror,sync

>     When you are through you will have an output image sitting in a file
>     that you can then fsck and dd onto a new disk.

Unless the bad spot happens to be an indirect or double indirect block.  Then
you are in for a long night of fsdb'in.  One of the things I'd like to see in
a file system enhancement would be the implementation of "shadow" indirect
blocks much like the extra superblocks that we can use if the primary one
gets stomped.

Later

Mark Hittinger
Earthlink