Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> > > I have spent some time trying to put etherboot[1] code onto the
> > > hard disk so that it can be selected using the FreeBSD boot
> > > manager. I ended up doing it with a small amt of modifications
> > > to the "boot1" code, for which a patch is attached.
> > >
> > > Maybe it could be interesting in applying this patch to the standard
> > > boot1 code (apart for the PRT_BSD change, which should be unmodified).
> >
> > The size of the boot1 code must be <= 446 bytes.  The code already gets
> > customised a lot, for example, in embedded work and space needs to be
> > left to allow for that.  So I wouldn't personally be in favour of adding
> > this to the standard boot1.

> On the other hand, the ability to load a rom image is very useful,
> so i wonder what do you think is the best approach among the following:
>
>   + put some conditional-compilation code in boot1.s
>   + have a separate file, say bootrom.s, maybe in the same directory
>     as the existing boot1
>   + pass the modified code to the etherboot people so they can include
>     in their source tree.
>
> in all sincerity i'd love to have this code in the FreeBSD source tree
> rather than have to resort to some external repository.

My preference would be for a separate file in a separate directory,
more or less similar to cdldr and pxeldr; I'd be least keen on handling
this with conditional-compilation.

That's just me, though, and this probably isn't a case where the views
of the author/maintainer should have any special weight.

--
Robert Nordier

[EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  Le monde est plein de fous, et qui n'en veut pas voir
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  Doit se tenir tout seul, et casser son miroir.