> Is there any easy way to read the contents of a system BIOS from userland?

No.  Most modern BIOS code is paged, compressed and in some cases
encrypted.

> bios(9) seems to have some very specific kernel-related BIOS routines, but
> nothing generic.  I'm trying to write a program that will dump the BIOS
> image to stdout so that I can use strings(1) to sniff out version strings
> and other textual data on systems that can't be rebooted and/or easily
> reached.

If this is all that you want, you can just open /dev/mem and read the
section between 0xe0000 and 0xfffff, much of this information is in there.

A better approach, however, would be to look at the SMIBIOS data.  I don't
have my old SMIBIOS work handy, but Paul Saab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hacked it
up into something usable and you should ask him (copied) if he would mind
passing it on.

Regards,
Mike