On Monday 16 July 2007 02:25:37 pm Julian Elischer wrote:
> Peter Jeremy wrote:
> >> what on earth would that achieve?
> >> (as opposed to just a simple syscall)
> >
> > The only benefit I can think of is minimising the number of syscalls.
> > Is there any other benefit?
> >

> I don't think so.. it's less efficient, and harder to do..
> syscalls are not in short supply.

Actually, adding a new fcntl is about the same as adding a new system call
except that you don't have to generate tables, etc. (so it might actually be
simpler).  I'm not sure it's such a bad idea to just have a fcntl to get the
max open fd and do the loop in userland so you get better auditing of the
individual close() operations.

--
John Baldwin