Benjie Chen wrote:
You are right, they may not be the same. From first look it seems like they are similar based on the description of the problems -- system stable, then under load related to network, get panic after different time intervals. I just assumed that kernel is typically stable enough that this kind of panic are rare (been using FBSD for 7 or 8 years now and in heavy loads as well, never had kernel panics to deal with).

OK, that means it is likely it has absolutely nothing in common.

I did reboot the system and set mpsafenet to 0 and I have not had a crash since then (almost a day) running the same load, so that's positive: at least it may be that that's the workaround, and I don't need Dell to send me new memory modules to try...

That should only be considered a temporary workaround while you continue to obtain debugging information to solve the problem for good. e.g. support for mpsafenet=0 has already been removed from 7.0.

Kris or Ivan: I was wondering if you could briefly explain what your guess the problem might be. I am curious what the cause of the problem is. E.g. it seems like a race condition, but I am curious to know more of the details...

It is impossible to say until you obtain some actual details about the panic :)

Kris