Alexey Popov wrote:
Hi

Kris Kennaway wrote:
So I can conclude that FreeBSD has a long standing bug in VM that could be triggered when serving large amount of static data (much bigger than memory size) on high rates. Possibly this only applies to large files like mp3 or video.
It is possible, we have further work to do to conclude this though.
I forgot to mention I have pmc and kgmon profiling for good and bad times. But I have not enough knowledge to interpret it right and not sure if it can help.
pmc would be useful.
pmc profiling attached.
OK, the pmc traces do seem to show that it's not a lock contention issue. That being the case I don't think the fact that different servers perform better is directly related.
But it was evidence of mbuf lock contention in mutex profiling, wasn't it? As far as I understand, mutex problems can exist without increasing CPU load in pmc stats, right?

No, the lock functions will show up as using a lot of CPU. I guess the lock profiling trace showed high numbers because you ran it for a long time.

There is also no evidence of a VM problem. What your vmstat and pmc traces show is that your system really isn't doing much work at all, relatively speaking. There is also still no evidence of a disk problem. In fact your disk seems to be almost idle in both cases you provided, only doing between 1 and 10 operations per second, which is trivial.
vmstat and network output graphs shows that the problem exists. If it is not a disk or network or VM problem, what else could be wrong?

The vmstat output you provided so far doesn't show anything specific.

In the "good" case you are getting a much higher interrupt rate but with the data you provided I can't tell where from. You need to run vmstat -i at regular intervals (e.g. every 10 seconds for a minute) during the "good" and "bad" times, since it only provides counters and an average rate over the uptime of the system.
I'll try this, but AFAIR there was no strangeness with interrupts.

I believe the reason of high interrupt rate in "good" cases is that server sends much traffic.

What there is evidence of is an interrupt aliasing problem between em and USB:
irq16: uhci0                  1464547796       1870
irq64: em0                    1463513610       1869
I tried disabling USB in kernel, this ussie was gone, but the main problem was left. Also I have this issue with interrupt aliasing on many servers without problems.

OK.

Kris