Hello folks,

At first, I don't really know C that well so... It's more of request or suggest if anyone is bored or interest to port on FreeBSD. :-)

Recently, Transmission has added preallocate files to prevent disk fragmentation but FreeBSD does not has any of (posix_)fallocate or fcntl's F_PREALLOCATE (checked in RELENG_7's src/* and manpages). Here's what it looks like:

static int
preallocateFile( int fd UNUSED, uint64_t length UNUSED )
{
#ifdef HAVE_FALLOCATE

    return fallocate( fd, 0, offset, length );

#elif defined(HAVE_POSIX_FALLOCATE)

    return posix_fallocate( fd, 0, length );

#elif defined(SYS_DARWIN)

    fstore_t fst;
    fst.fst_flags = F_ALLOCATECONTIG;
    fst.fst_posmode = F_PEOFPOSMODE;
    fst.fst_offset = 0;
    fst.fst_length = length;
    fst.fst_bytesalloc = 0;
    return fcntl( fd, F_PREALLOCATE, &fst );

#else

    #warning no known method to preallocate files on this platform
    return -1;

#endif
}

You can see a bit more over at http://trac.transmissionbt.com/changeset/7051 .. You can also point me to some sources if it exists for I can try do it by myself, but with lacking C knowledge is a bit hard for me at the most of time. I don't know if UFS does not need or does need it. If anyone is interesting to write simple one for FreeBSD will be cool. Thanks!

Cheers,
Mezz

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]