I might add that various Linux distributions install just fine from the sata cd drive.

Ralph Zitz wrote:
The exact same error as the original poster. When choosing the fixit option in the sysinstaller and then choosing CDROM/DVD to mount the livfs it fails. It works with my old ide cdrom drive however. The sysinstaller keeps on asking for the livefs cdrom to be inserted - as if it cannot "find" it.

This system uses an nforce controller not ICH.

AHCI support is in 7 and -CURRENT fully working for me.  What error
messages if any do you see on the console?

-aps