FreeBSD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Maciej Suszko a écrit :
> > I think about buying Dell PE2950 with SAS 6/iR integrated RAID
> > controller. It would be double Intel Quad Core Xeon E5420 with 3.5"
> > SAS 15k RPM disks connected to SAS 6/iR RAID controller.
> >
> > I'm curious if anyone is running FreeBSD-7.0-RELEASE on such machine
> > and if there any problems with this controller - is SAS 6/iR
> > supported by mpt or mfi? Anyone happily using it?
> >
> I never tried SAS 6 but I have SAS 5 in a few Dell servers and it's
> performance is horrible. I tried some tips I read to optimize the
> performance but none worked (I must admit that I didn't tried that
> hard but still...). Just to compare, I have the exact same disk (the
> same 3,5" SAS 15K that you plan to buy) in a PowerEdge 860 with SAS 5
> and in a PowerEdge 1950 with PERC5 (both in RAID 1) and the
> performance are like day and night (tested with dbench):
> SAS 5: Throughput 98.9811 MB/sec 4 procs
> PERC5: Throughput 321.704 MB/sec 4 procs
>
> The last server I bought is a PowerEdge 840 with PERC5 but this time
> with 7200RPM SATA drives (3 in RAID 5) and the performance is still
> impressive : Throughput 266.81 MB/sec 4 procs
>
> I highly recommand upgrading to the PERC controller.
>
> SAS5 is recognized by the mpt driver and PERC5 by mfi.
>
> YMMV,
>
> Martin

Thanks for reply Martin,

I think I'm not gonna take the risk and I stay with PERC5 controller.
Have you used integrated PERC5 or external one? And one more question -
how about controller monitoring  - there is a sysutils/linux-megacli,
have you tested it? Is it working with your PERC?
--
regards, Maciej Suszko.