On 01/01/13 20:47, Eitan Adler wrote:
On 1 January 2013 20:26, YongHyeon PYUN <pyu...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 01, 2013 at 12:29:29PM -0500, Eitan Adler wrote:
Hey,

Are there any plans to support the AR8161/8165 chipset?
[ none2@pci… class=0x02000 card=0x397917aa chip=0x10911969 rev=0x08 hdr=0x00 ]

  This decision made QAC to overhaul Linux driver
(alx) to follow Linux's decision and their priority was to get a
stable Linux driver. It was long time ago and I don't know current
status.

:(

QAC already donated a couple of engineering samples so I guess it
wouldn't take a long time for me to write a driver for
AR816x/AR817x but I still have mixed feelings about writing a
driver at this moment.

Why the mixed feelings?  The more hardware we support out of the box
the more likely it is that users will stick with FreeBSD.

If I could tell people that "yes, this laptop completely works with
FreeBSD" that would be awesome.

If I might jump in, I would love to tell people I know the same thing, but I cannot because /my/ wifi card isn't supported (and, as I understand it, mine is because the hw vendor apparently likes it like that).

I am finding FreeBSD to be great on a desktop/server, but I need to be mobile with my laptop and not tied to an ethernet card or a ndist hack that may or may not cause a kernel panic.

--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org