On Tue, 7 Jul 2009, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

Quoting Bill Marquette <bill.marque...@ucsecurity.com> (from Mon, 6 Jul 2009 20:14:02 -0500 (CDT)):

I'm trying to run Avahi in a jail, much the same as Alexander Leidinger in this email from late last year http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-jail@freebsd.org/msg00587.html. I couldn't find any replies to that thread and it seems that I'm running into the same issues - the service announcements make it on the wire and the other devices in the network see them.

So far I have nothing working.

I assume that the mcast traffic is not arriving at all IPs. <wild guess>Either because on overly restrictive jail check, and/or just because there's no code which is distributing the traffic to all IPs.</wild guess>

It seems kern_jail.c is a place to check if there's some code which handles

No, in_pcb.c in6_pcb.c in_m*.[ch] in6_m*.[ch] are the files you need
as a starting point; there's more and more and more.

this. Maybe prison_check_ip[46] if mcast is on top of this, or something new to write if mcast is a different "AF". Again, this is a wild guess, I don't have enough understanding of the network code in the kernel to even make educated guesses about the real reason.

But you first will have to understand all implications, that need a
proper design plan and after that thoughtout implementation.

Alternatively I wouldn't wonder if enabling raw sockets would give
what you want or you'll wait for virtualization to be ready.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                      The greatest risk is not taking one.