Hi freebsd-net,

I have been working for the last few months of porting VPP to FreeBSD and this
work is now ready for very early testing. This porting work is sponsored by the
FreeBSD Foundation in partnership with RG Nets.

If you would like to experiment with VPP on FreeBSD then you can work from my
freebsd-vpp branch available here:
https://github.com/adventureloop/vpp/tree/freebsd-vpp

The README.freebsd offers a walk through of build and configuration based on
the configuration of my bhyve test machine.
The port has been tested in bhyve with virtio interfaces and on real hardware
using Chelsio T62100-LP-CR 100Gbit NICs.

With this branch you should be able to launch VPP and configure it to run as a
router on FreeBSD CURRENT and 14 using both DPDK and netmap.

This branch represents my upstreaming queue of changes heading towards VPP and
some FreeBSD specific patches required to build and run right now which I
expect not to need in the future.

If you test and encounter issues or want to get in touch I’m happy to receive
bug reports via that issues on that github repo or directly via email to
t...@freebsd.org.

I’m looking forward to hearing the exciting ways this breaks and the VPP
configurations that FreeBSD users expect to be available.

Thanks

Tom