Paul Procacci:
> I'm assigning VF's to bhyve with pci passthru.
[...]
> Given this, I figured the best option would be to set the VLAN on the VF on
> the host prior to handing it off to the bhyve instance effectively enabling
> transparent vlans.
[...]
> Has anyone done this?  Does anyone have any pointers to accomplish this?

i looked into this a while ago and concluded that it's not supported, at
least on Intel cards.

my recollection is that someone was working on this at one point, but
never finished it -- unfortunately, i can't remember who that was...

you may be able to work around this by running vlan(4) on the VF on the
host instead of passing the interface to the guest, but then you lose
most of the benefits of using SR-IOV to begin with.  i have run into
some odd bugs with both SR-IOV and vlan(4) on ixgbe cards and would
definitely recommend testing that thoroughly before deploying it.