Rob Watt wrote:
Hi,

In 6.1-RELEASE there were a number of em driver stability and performance issues. We would regularly see packet loss at low to moderate load. A number of patches were applied that completely fixed the problem for us.

We installed 6.2-RELEASE, but even though 6.2 is supposed to have a stable em driver, we are noticing the same packet loss problem again. We updated to STABLE, and we didn't see any packet drops in our first day of testing, but today we are seeing packet drops again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there known problems with the STABLE em driver?

Our hardware:

  tyan s5372 motherboard (bios v1.05)
  2 intel x5355 processors
  adaptec aic7902 scsi daughter card
  there are 4 em interfaces (2 on-board, 2 from an add-on card), but we
    are currently only using em0

We have experienced the packet drop problem with a custom kernel and with the RELEASE SMP kernel.

-
Rob Watt
I saw a little bit of this when using vmware and a newly installed 6.2 guest machine. The problem was related to the amount of time it took for ssh to a real 7-CURRENT box to adjust the window size (interestingly enough). It took 15 ~ 20 additional seconds for it to adjust and later connect. This all occurred post authentication phase -- and I'm pretty sure it was the last step before connecting.
-Garrett