Doug Barton wrote:
Kris Kennaway wrote:

The new 'make describe' target runs entirely using shell builtins apart from the need to sed pkg-descr to extract the WWW [2]

[2] Actually I am not happy with this but couldn't think of a way to do it better. Having to fork the subshell costs about 60 seconds of system time and 10 of wall time.

Here's one way to do it. This is quick and dirty and I haven't benchmarked it, but I imagine it would be faster.

while read one two discard; do
    case "$one" in
    WWW:)    echo one: $one two: $two
        case "$two" in
        http://*) echo WWW= $two ;;
        *) echo WWW=  http://$two ;;
        esac
        break
        ;;
    esac
done < pkg-descr

I did test this briefly and it pulls out the right values for
variables with and without http://.

hth,

Doug

Unfortunately it doesn't DTRT with files terminated with DOS-style CRLF (e.g. devel/p5-Tie-Restore, others).

Kris