2009/5/16 Jeremy Messenger <me...@cox.net>:
> It's highly unlike they will break the ABI in the minor release.

I'm agree, it's unlikely. But it's possible and there is not warranty.

> We haven't bump boost when minor version was released and no issue.
> What number or blah, I don't care as long as you do not bump it for
> no reason when the ABI isn't broke.

It's very hard and time consuming to detect whether a particular library
from boost breaks the ABI. I have no automated test suite to verify that and
there are no resources for creating one.

I am for changing version at every release, since this is what's
suggested by boost. However, as a maintainer I'll accept any decision
of FreeBSD ports team.

Thus, can I be officially instructed what to do?
I see following options:

1) Change shared objects version on every release.
2) Change shared objects version on every major release and also if an
issue was discovered.
3) Decide myself.

Sincerely,
Alexander Churanov,