On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 20:17:55 +0200
Christoph Moench-Tegeder <c...@burggraben.net> wrote:

> ## Carmel NY (carmel...@outlook.com):
>
> > 1) Why is the "update" procedure deliberately removed from the
> > port?
>
> The svn history does mention it:
> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=527607
> "Remove drivedb update binary as it will modify tracked files"
> A port has no business modifying itself once installed - if
> installed files have to be updated at runtime, these files should
> live in /var/db/.
> An acceptable solution in this case would be moving that drive db
> to /var/db/smartmontools/ (or similar). When I start thinking about
> that... perhaps the original (shipped) drive db should be kept as a
> fallback, in case the user did not download (or delete) the updateable
> drive db: I haven't seen any complaints about missing drive db updates
> until now, which makes me suspect that for most people (me included)
> the shipped drive db is "good enough" and few people ever tried to
> update the drive db at all.

Indeed. In all these years, I've only had to do it ONCE [1]. I leave it
until a drive isn't recognised. I certainly wouldn't bother doing it on
a regular basis - I wait until a drive isn't recognised.

[1] And I wish I hadn't bothered. The drives I downloaded the update
for are going back - they are two of the submarined SMR drives from
Western Digital.