leave a blank line between your reply and the text being replied
    to.  it's really hard to read when it's stuffed all together.

# [EMAIL PROTECTED] / 2002-10-15 22:29:11 -0700:
> Stacey Roberts wrote:
> >You didn't mention whether or not the nic is "onboard" or PCI, but did
> >it actually ever work under another OS? As far as the installation goes,
> >if this is the only nic you've got in the box, you'd just have to
> >disable the other drivers that appear in the list of conflicts, leaving
> >the sis driver only.
>
> It's PCI, works perfectly under Windows ME, and it is the only nic I
> have;

    what were the results of putting it into another PCI slot as advised
    by Stacey?

> however the sis driver seems to be not on the list of drivers (driver
> selection, graphical mode); instead it seems to be detected
> independently,

    the menu you get at the beginning of an install lists selected *ISA*
    devices. PCI devices are, indeed, autodetected. (you still have to
    enable their respective "drivers", either by compiling them into
    your kernel, or loading the appropriate kernel module.)

    FreeBSD should highlight all devices that have IRQ conflicts.

> for a year ago the same person who informed me to install from CD also
> told me to uncheck/delete all drivers in the list and the sis would be
> detected normally... please enlighten me if it is otherwise.

    Since what you're seeing is most probably an IRQ conflict, that
    person is very likely to be right.

--
If you cc me or take the list(s) out completely I'll most likely
ignore your message.