On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 09:55:31PM +0200, Socketd wrote:
> Hi again :-)
>
> Just some filesystem questions.
> What filesystem does FreeBSD use for disks (1.44mb and 120 mb). In
> windows they use ms-dos, but my guess is that we don't use FFS for
> disks? and how do I format a disk to our filesystem?

You can use whatever filesystem you want.  It's just a filesystem..it
doesn't care about the underlying disk medium.

You can create a FFS filesystem on a floppy disk the same way you
create one on a hard disk (using newfs, or newfs_* for other
filesystems).

> Why is it what we don't have to fragment our hard-disks all the time
> like I did in windows?

The filesystem is designed not to become fragmented under normal use.
On the other hand FAT was not designed very well (at all? :).

> I also heard that the filesystem for hard-disk
> will be updated in FreeBSD 5.0, can you guide my to some info about
> this?

Check the release notes.