Micah wrote:

I just upgraded to a new Athlon 64 system to replace my five-year-old
system.  I ended up buying a low end PCI-EX MSI Radeon X300 SE video
card to go with it.  I'm not getting any dri acceleration out of it.

I basicaly did a hard-disk swap from the old machine to the new one. I later CVSup'd my source to RELENG_5_4 (from 5.3 release), edited the kernel conf for the new system, and recompiled following the procedure in the handbook to see if that would help. I'm still running in i386 mode for now. The old box had dri working with my Matrox card.

I have xorg 6.8.2 installed and dri 6.2.1.

uname -a:
FreeBSD trisha.eidolonworld 5.4-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7 #0: Wed Sep 7 14:46:11 PDT 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TRISHA i386

I've uploaded copies of my dmesg, kernel conf, loader.conf, and
xorg.conf to:
http://students.washington.edu/micahjon/public/
(I wasn't sure about including that much text in my email.)

Thanks for any insight,
Micah

In the week that this email has spent in cyber-limbo I have since found out that this is probably an "r300" based board and that support is experimental. I haven't gotten "experimental" support working yet but I did fool the kernel into intializing the drm interface by adding my card's ID in drm_pciids.h. I now have the following in dmesg:

drm0: <ATI Radeon RX300-test> port 0xa000-0xa0ff mem 0xd1000000-0xd100ffff,0xc8000000-0xcfffffff irq 24 at device 0.0 on pci2
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.11.0 20020828 on minor 0

Later,
Micah