Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of increasing the maximum number of groups a user can
belong to on one of my servers - we have a rather complex organisation and
we're hitting the 15 group limit for some people.

There seems to be differing opinions on how to do this and if it's actually
feasible. One post I found said:

> in src/sys/sys/syslimits.h there is a constant named 'NGROUPS_MAX'.
> change it to however many you need (within reason), rebuild/install world
> and kernel.

Another said you have to change all sorts of things in the source, modify a
kernel parameter, rebuild world and rebuild any port that uses NGROUPS -
which probably means a portupgrade -fa.

There is talk of a maxgroups() parameter in the kernel, but NOTES makes no
mention of this.

I wonder too if some apps would need their own configuration altered to allow
them to work with the higher limit.

So I just wanted to ask if anyone has successfully raised the NGROUPS_MAX
limit, especially when running samba & nfs on the system?

If not, I'll work around the problem a different way.

(BTW I'm running 5.4-RELEASE)

Cheers,
--
Ian