I don't have FS problems. After a umount the USB stick has still the
Power LED on. Under Linux an "eject" turns the Power LED off.

I tried /usr/ports/sysutils/eject without success (freeBSD 5.4)

I went a little bit through the source of an linux "eject" and the
*BSD "eject". The Linux Verion is using "cdrom.h" and *BSD "cdio.h".
I think that both "eject's" are actually doing the same (*BSD:
ioctl(fd,CDIOEJECT); Linux ioctl (fd,CDROMEJECT)). I'm not a
kernel/driver programmer, but I think the umass Driver or SCSI Driver
(because "eject /dev/cd0" also doesn't work ) doesn't accept a
CDIOEJECT.