eoghan wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2005, at 17:34, Mark Kane wrote:
>
>> eoghan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>> I have followed the manual page here for sound setup:
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-
>>> setup.html
>>> Im using freebsd 6.0 with generic kernel.  Im not sure what sound   card
>>> came with my dell (its 3 years old).
>>> So i did:
>>> #kldload snd_emu10k1
>>> #kldload snd_driver
>>> then:
>>> #cat /dev/sndstat
>>> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>>> Installed devices:
>>> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371-B> at io 0xec40 irq 11 kld snd_es137x(1p/1r/0v
>>> channels duplex default)
>>> This is my first time trying to get the sound working. I try play an
>>> mp3 ans dont hear anything. Perhaps using the snd_driver wont work in
>>> my case...
>>> Is there a way to get freeBSD to show my sound device so I can  load
>>> the
>>> correct module? Or is there something else im doing wrong?
>>> Thanks
>>> Eoghan
>>

>> It looks to me like the "snd_driver" did it (since it shows  "snd_es127x"
>>  loaded), but if you still are not getting any sound then check some
>> things.
>>
>> 1) The parts list you pasted seems like it's the Creative CT5807 sound
>> card. I don't see that particular model on the hardware supported  list,
>> although similar models are listed under that driver (man snd_es137x).
>>
>> 2) Check the volume. Type "mixer" at a shell and make sure the levels
>> are up. The manpage for "mixer" should tell you how to change those
>> settings if you need to.
>>
>> 3) Are you running KDE or artsd? On one of my machines that I set  sound
>> up on a long time ago everything was going fine (no errors, sndstat
>> showed it, etc) but KDE's artsd interfered with the volume when KDE  was
>> on. So if you are in KDE then I'd say to stop the GUI and go to the
>> console where artsd won't be running and then do your testing. You can
>> also disable artsd but I'm not sure where as it's been a while since
>> I've used KDE.
>>
>> 4) Are your speakers/headphones/mixer volumes up?
>>
>> -Mark
>>

> Thanks Mark
> Im running KDE (3.4.3) and I have just gone into control center >  sound
> & multimedia > sound system
> Here I disabled the sound system and reneabled it, which it restarted
> the sound system. I then clicked the button to text sound.
> Then I heard sound perfect. I then opened Noatun and tried to play an
> mp3 but heard nothing. I dont know about artsd, but is this the KDE
> sound system?

Yeah, the KDE sound system is artsd so that should be the correct area.

> I tried the sound system disabled, restart Noatun but still nothing.
> artsd at konsole says:
> can't register Arts::MidiManager
> There are already artsd objects registered, looking if they are  active...
>
> Error: Can't add object reference (probably artsd is already running).
>        If you are sure it is not already running, remove the  relevant
> files:
>
>        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SoundServerV2
>        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SoundServer
>        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_SimpleSoundServer
>        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_PlayObjectFactory
>        /tmp/mcop-root/Arts_AudioManager
>
> So, sound works if I test in control centre. But no sound if i try  play
> an mp3...
> Thanks
> Eoghan

I've never used Noatun so I'm not sure if it has options that you need
to change for sound. If you have KDE's sound system enabled, you'll be
using artsd. If you have it disabled, then the OSS in FreeBSD should
take over again. So in the options, I'm not sure if it will give you a
choice to use artsd output or OSS output, but change them accordingly.

Other thing to make sure is that the KDE mixer levels are up. The test
sound may work even with some levels of that mixer being down, so look
through the KDE menus relating to sound for the Sound Mixer. Then make
sure things like Volume, Speaker, etc are all up. Also try the "Input"
area of the mixer, since I figured out a long time ago that that's
really the "Input" into artsd and if those are down it will not give
sound either (that may have changed since I used it though).

HTH

-Mark

--
GnuPG Public Key:
http://www.mkproductions.org/mk_pubkey.asc

Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com
Rock 101.9 The Edge (Rock) - http://www.rock1019.net

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)