Sorry, I forgpt to add this,

I the answer is yes to the first question (original question), then, what happens if one 'dd's a small, say 36 GM disk to a larger one, say 73 GB. Can the newly made disk be resized so as not to loose 1/2 of it?

-GRant

----- Original Message ----- From: "Grant Peel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:25 AM
Subject: dd - cloning a disk.

Hi all,

Here is a simple (I think!) question for the I/O savy among you:

If I had two identical disks, say, 73 GB Seagate 10K SCSIs, one completely operational fully setup FreeBSD with all the trimmings, and the other blank, or perhaps loaded but no longer usable, is 'dd' and appropriate tool to completely clone the Good disk to the not so good disk....therefor making the second disk identical to the first? Bootable and all?

-Grant