On Sunday 09 July 2006 9:59 am, Bram Kuijper wrote:
Hi,

still cannot seem to get usb device working as an ordinary user between
multiple reboots, without doing /etc/rc.d/devfs start as root every time.

did the following things described under 4.3.3. from
http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html

added this to devfs.rules:

[usb_devices=10]
add path 'da*s*' mode 0666 group usb
add path 'ugen*' mode 0666 group usb

added this to rc.conf:
devfs_system_ruleset="usb_devices"

removed this from devfs.conf:

own /dev/fd0 root:operator
perm /dev/fd0 0666

then, I restarted my rc.conf:
/etc/rc.d/devfs start

now, it is possible to mount the device as described, however only
during this login. If I reboot, I have to do devfs start again as root.

anybody knows how to retain these settings between multiple reboots?

TIA,
Bram

An 'ls -l /dev/da*' and 'ls -l /dev/u*' just after reboot might be helpful to see if /some/ of the permissions are being set on boot. Next, double check your devfs.conf - in your email you said you removed permissions related to the floppy not the USB devices, maybe there's a conflict. Also, after a reboot but before doing a devfs start, unplug your USB device and then plug it back in - to see if devfs is working.

I tried to reproduce your problem with a USB flash drive, but I can't. What kind of USB device are you using? Maybe it's a driver error.

HTH,
Micah