Sorry.. In my previous mail, I forgot to say to send
replies to my mailbox as well, as I'm not on the list.

Thank you.

Hi.

Dan Nelson wrote:
In the last episode (Jul 24), Roberto Nunnari said:
Hi everybody.

Could anybody tell me the reason why by default FreeBSD
limits the number of groups a user can be member of to 16?

Compatibility with the NFS protocol.  A google search on "nfs 16
groups" returned a lot of hits.

http://www.sunmanagers.org/archives/1998/1328.html
http://nfsworld.blogspot.com/2005/03/whats-deal-on-16-group-id-limitation.html

You can raise the limit, but you need to make sure that you raise it on
all servers that share NFS mounts.  If you don't you may end up with
remote file access either failing or not passing the full group
membership list to the remote server, which could cause incorrect
"permission denied" errors.

The FreeBSD box act as a NFS/NIS client to a linux box.

How can I get to know what the limit is on the linux box?

FreeBSD box:
# uname -srp
FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p3 i386

Linx box